Mon, Sept 11|
Buddhist Philosophy (Lamrim Introduction) Course | 10 weeks - Fall Session
ONLINE or IN PERSON || Every Monday Evening; 19:00 - 21:00!
Time & Location
Sept 11, 7:00 p.m. EDT – Nov 13, 9:00 p.m. EST
Toronto, 27 Davies Ave Suite 2, Toronto, ON M4M 2A9, Canada
About the Event
ONLINE or IN PERSON
Each Monday Evening from 19h00 to 21h00 (EST, Toronto time)
From September 11th until November 13th (10 weeks)
The course is given by Lobsang Yeshema
Lamrim (Tibetan for “the stages of the path to enlightenment”) originates from the teachings of Buddha Shakyamuni. In the eleventh century, the great Indian saint, Atisha, committed the teachings to writing in a very clear and well-structured text which is just as popular today as it was then. It is a precise, step-by-step explanation of the entire teaching of the Buddha. Later, the famous Tibetan pioneer, Tsongkhapa, provided a more detailed version.
Today, this text has become very popular because it allows Westerners to receive a teaching that is at once concise and complete. Due to its exceptional clarity, it is easily understood and therefore facilitates study and meditation for those wishing to attain enlightenment. Because of the hectic pace of modern life, holding down a job, and raising a family etc., unlike monks and nuns, it is almost impossible to undertake several years of Dharma studies. For this reason, the Dalai Lama as well as the great masters prefer this text to any of the others. In our course therefore, we will be using Lama Samten’s book, The Essence of the Path to Enlightenment.
A. INTRODUCTION TO THE STAGES OF THE PATH
1.1 The excellence of the author so as to establish the noble origin of the teaching.
1.2 The excellence of the Dharma so as to develop confidence in the instructions.
1.3 How to listen and teach the Dharma.
B. THE ACTUAL PRACTICE OF THE STAGES OF THE PATH
2. The six preliminary preparations for practicing meditation, and the spiritual guide.
3. Precious human life: an extraordinary opportunity.
The stages of the path practiced by practitioners of the small scope:
4. Impermanence of all compounded phenomena, and precious human life.
5. Taking refuge in the Three Jewels: the gateway to freedom from suffering.
6. Karma: the law of cause and effect that governs every physical, verbal, and mental action (body, speech, and mind).
The stages of the path practiced by practitioners of the middle scope:
7. The Four Noble Truths: suffering, its origin, its end, and the path of liberation.
8. The twelve interdependent links that turn the wheel of Samsara (the cycle of existences). By reversing this process, we can free ourselves of this cycle.
The stages of the path practiced by practitioners of the great scope:
9. The benefits of Bodhichitta (spirit of enlightenment), the altruistic intention which is the source of every worldly happiness.
10.The method of the seven causes and effects in order to develop universal love, the ‘great compassion’ and Bodhichitta.
11. Geshe Tchekawa’s seven-point mind training that allows us to free ourselves of the ego.
12. The first four perfections: generosity, discipline, patience, and joyful perseverance.
13. The fifth perfection: concentration.
14. The nine stages of calm-abiding, the result of concentration.
15. a) The sixth perfection: the wisdom of emptiness, and
b) The uncommon vehicle: the Vajrayana.
Note : We give our courses live, because there is more benefit to receive it this way than simply listening the recordings. We usually record the course, but give it only on requests for people who want to listen a second time or for very exceptional situations where a course has to be missed. We also really love to see you during the courses, so we prefer if you open your camera so we can see your reaction and this facilitates the interaction for the teacher; but if you have a personal reason for not opening we respect also.
We will follow Lama Samten's book, if you want a copy you can have it at our Centre or order it online : https://www.buddhistmeditationtoronto.org/product-page/the-essence-of-the-path-to-enlightenment
PDF version : https://www.simplyk.io/ticketing/5e8e55a974192802abd8f228
FEE : 164$ You can also have a reduction of 4$ by sending us an e-transfer.
Lamrim Course, Monday Evening